NIC1, DRAC5 and Shared mode

Dean Spaccavento dean.spaccavento at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 02:34:45 CST 2006

Hi All,

I am the proud admin of two healthy bouncing 1950s and am trying to
make the DRAC5s in them do something (seemingly) a little complex.

Basically I want NIC1 to be connected to my internal network and NIC2
connected to the Web. No problems there once you read the docco
regarding the "NICs are swapped in RHEL4" document.

As NIC1 is connected to my internal network, and I have set my DRAC5
to "Shared" and have given it an internal network address, I expected
to be able to access its services from the internal network without an
extra cable to the switch. As it turns out, I can't see it. I can't
ping it, ssh to it, http to it, nothing. Even from the machine that it
is plugged into. Actually I don't get IP to it in any way shape or
form. And there is no way to check that I have layer 2 as far as I can
tell. The OMSA and DSET stuff tells me that the DRAC is installed and
happy.

I have checked my routing and as the internal network is plugged into
eth0 and eth0 is NIC1, it should work. I have also flushed all my
iptables and set the policy on the default chains to ACCEPT. I know
the DRAC works because when I put it in "Dedicated" mode and attach
the Web connecton to its dedicated NIC, everything works wonderfully.

I have a call open with Dell support and their reading of the DRAC
docco suggests to them that this will only work if NIC1 and NIC2 are
teamed. I can see how they might think that from the text, as it talks
a lot about teaming, but I doubt that is correct.

So, after all that, the questions:

1. Does the DRAC5 "Shared" NIC config work if you don't team NIC1 and NIC2?

2. If I have my internal network plugged into NIC1 and I allocate the
DRAC an internal address, and put it in "Shared" mode, should I be
able to see it on the internal network via it piggybacking on to NIC1?

3. As far as you can see, am I doing anything woefully stupid in this config?

Thanks for your help,
Dean.