USB Under RedHat 9 on PowerEdge 2800

Peter Waskowic waskowic at sedsystems.ca
Fri Apr 28 15:32:04 CDT 2006

I plugged in a USB to serial converter on my PowerEdge 2800, which is
running RedHat Linux 9.0.  After reboot, the USB to serial converter is
detected and the appropriate kernel modules are loaded (usbserial,
io_ti).  However, any time I try to open the serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0),
I get a "Broken pipe" error.

After looking around, I think that the chipset used for the USB
controllers (Intel 82801EB) on the motherboard is too new for the stock
RedHat 9.0 installation.  I'm not able to upgrade operating systems for
my application.  Does anybody have the USB ports working on PowerEdge
2800 while using RedHat Linux 9.0?

Any help is appreciated,
Peter Waskowic