PERC2 questions

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Apr 29 20:57:34 CDT 2006

On Sat, April 29, 2006 21:02, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> From my experience with these cards and getting them to work with
> modern Linux.. you will save money buying a newer set of cards from Dell
> than trying to get them to work. Basically all the nightmares that can
> happen with Software raid can occur with the older megaraid driver (what
> do you mean I dont have any raid partitions anymore?)
>
>> Speed is not a big issue in this case.
>>
>> Thanks for the driver warning.
>>
>> If I can get them talking; I suppose I also need to get the MegaMgr or
>> similar package working to monitor the array.
I'd presume that if you're willing to do that much work to get the
freebies to work, you're very sensitive to spending anything, but you
_can_ pick up PERC3/DC and QC cards on eBay, with 128Mb battery backed
cache, for around $50.  They're megaraid_mbox supported.  That's what I
did for my home rig after having to back out kernel updates and/or rebuild
broken initrds several times under FC3 with PERC2s.  But I never had the
nightmares mentioned as long as I had the driver hooked in properly. OTOH,
I never found a megamgr/megamon download that would work with my PERC2s.
It was Ctrl-M all the way.