PERC2 questions

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Apr 29 19:10:48 CDT 2006

On Sat, April 29, 2006 19:47, David wrote:

> So I inherited severel PERC2/SC & /DC RAID cards. These
> were OEM'ed MegaRAID unit's I'm told. Looking to use with
> Debian Stable.
>
> And they do appear to have the same PCB's & ^M screens as
> the MegaRAID-labeled cards I have.
>
> But they can find no drives, period. I unplug the chain
> from the PERC and swap in a native MegaRAID; all is well.
> Back again, no joy.
>
> a) Any suggestions? I've checked the obvious TERM, FAST vs
> ULTRA, etc; but have no clue what MASS STORAGE vs I2O
> means here. {Tried both}
>
> b)I'm using these in {gasp..} non-DELL motherboards; is
> that the problem somehow?
>
> c) LSILogic Support disowned them but hinted I can just
> flash their firmware vs Dell's... true?

Your real problem is that Linux has more or less disowned them.  They need
the legacy megaraid driver rather than the current megaraid_mbox.  You can
flash them with the LSI firmware, but it won't make a difference in that
respect.  Don't know much about Debian, but with Fedora even if you hook
in the proper driver and build your initrd to use it, it will periodically
break with kernel updates.  Not worth it.  Take the other advice and use
software RAID.  They're decent SCSI cards.