Opteron in a Dell?

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Sat Apr 29 08:52:12 CDT 2006

> From: "David Hubbard" <dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com>
>
> > Supposedly the x4100 and x4200 have hardware RAID 1 suppport.
>
> That's correct, they have an LSI controller built on:
>
> 02:03.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064 PCI-X
> Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 02)
>
> But it can only do striping or mirroring, no raid 5
> and no raid 10.  With the largest SAS drive available
> currently being 73 GB, it leaves you with quite limited
> options.  Evidently HP has some better options with
> similar Opteron-based systems that have SAS but also
> have SCSI and SATA options, and real raid controllers.
> I don't know how well their lights out works though,
> Sun's is really impressive, you can power cycle, on/off,
> get into the bios and everything from over the network.
>
> I did some measurements last night of a 4200 with four
> 73 GB drives and two 2.8 GHz single-core cpu's vs
> an 1850 with two 140 GB 15,000 rpm drives and two 3.8 GHz
> Xeon's.  At idle the 1850 drew 1.9 amps at 110v while the
> 2100 drew 2 amps.  Under 100% load on cpu and disks
> thanks to bonnie and cpuburn running at the same time,
> the 1850 shot up to 3.55 amps while the Sun kept it at
> 2.7 amps.
>
> David

I think the general view from both Sun and Dell on their 1U servers is
to have the internal disk drives act as OS boot disks. Any additional
storage would be provided by an external SCSI/FC array or a SAN connection.

I was really disappointed when the Dell 1850 only had two drive bays. There
are lots of projects I could do with 3 x 146GB or 3 x 300GB in RAID-5
without the expense/hassle of a SAN connection.

According to my salescritter, I think Dell got that message and the next
version will go back to 3 drive bays.

In the Sun x4100, I think they expect most customers will want the DVD +
2 drive option.

I have not played with the Sun or HP offerings yet... I'll be curious
what Sun can do for pricing on the 2 x dual core machines (can they be
competitive with companies such as Western Scientific for compute
cluster use).

HP/Compaq has some nice products, but they are more expensive (at least
compared to our other vendor relationships).

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25