Opteron in a Dell?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Apr 28 15:42:17 CDT 2006

From: Dan Pritts [mailto:danno at internet2.edu]

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 09:08:05AM +0100, Greg Cope wrote:
> > "traditionally" sun have used software raid on the hosts,
> > and hardware raid on the external storage (if required).
> > This is a generalisation.
>
> Supposedly the x4100 and x4200 have hardware RAID 1 suppport.

That's correct, they have an LSI controller built on:

02:03.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064 PCI-X
Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 02)

But it can only do striping or mirroring, no raid 5
and no raid 10.  With the largest SAS drive available
currently being 73 GB, it leaves you with quite limited
options.  Evidently HP has some better options with
similar Opteron-based systems that have SAS but also
have SCSI and SATA options, and real raid controllers.
I don't know how well their lights out works though,
Sun's is really impressive, you can power cycle, on/off,
get into the bios and everything from over the network.

I did some measurements last night of a 4200 with four
73 GB drives and two 2.8 GHz single-core cpu's vs
an 1850 with two 140 GB 15,000 rpm drives and two 3.8 GHz
Xeon's.  At idle the 1850 drew 1.9 amps at 110v while the
2100 drew 2 amps.  Under 100% load on cpu and disks
thanks to bonnie and cpuburn running at the same time,
the 1850 shot up to 3.55 amps while the Sun kept it at
2.7 amps.

David