Opteron in a Dell?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Thu Apr 27 16:22:12 CDT 2006

Anyone have any thoughts on if we'll ever see an
Opteron-based Dell?  I'm sure everyone's mileage
may vary but I've found an Opteron-based server
from Sun with two single-core 2.8 GHz cpu's is
about 35% faster than a similarly configured PE1850
with two 3.8 GHz Xeon cpu's for the type of web-based
short-running but compute-bound processing that we
subject servers to.  It consumes 2.7 amps of power
vs 3.5 amps while doing this too.  What I don't like
though is Sun's only option of serial attached
scsi drives, they're dramatically lower capacity
while being much more expensive, and their poor
raid controller which can only do striping and
mirroring, no 5 or 10.  Having to buy through resellers
is a hassle I don't like either, but for the price
being just a little more, we'd break even on the
difference in two months at most thanks to the
performance gain allowing us to put more customers on
a system and the power savings, so it's tough to
stay loyal given that.

David