poweredge 6600 and latest smp kernels

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Thu Apr 27 15:34:01 CDT 2006

I have a 4-processor PE 6600 that will not  boot SMP with Fedora Core
4 kernels past 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4. It boots single processor ok. The
startup hangs at various points, sometimes at "Checking Hardware",
but sometimes later. A hard power reset is required to reboot.

I have not had much chance to try different things as the machine is
in heavy use, but I will soon have a window of a few days to
experiment some.

I'd be grateful for a few suggestions for what to try.

Tony Schreiner
Boston College