RHES4 and 600SC

Doug Johnson doug at btsint.com
Tue Apr 25 14:12:14 CDT 2006

I need HELP!  I am new to linux, but I have installed RHES4 on 3 brand new
Dell PowerEdge SC430's with NO problems.  I have an older 600SC (2003
model?) that I am trying to install and while installing it tells me that it
cannot find the hard drives.  This 600 has a CERC ATA-100/4ch, which the
430's did not have.  I do not know what I am doing with it, so I did the
easy configure and it seemed to work, but upon reboot, I got the same thing.
I read somewhere that ES4 does not have the drivers for that controller and
that if I plugged the hard drives directly to the motherboard, all would be
well.  So, I just plugged the hard drives directly into the motherboard and
then everything seemed to work, using Disk Druid, I was able to partition
the drives and setup RAID1 and everything.  However, while RH is formatting
the last partition, right at the end, it hangs indefinitely.  I am thinking
that it has actually finished formatting and it is hung on the next step and
the graphic has not caught up with it.  The icon for the mouse stops
rotating, and the hard drive light goes off.  If I turn it off and back on,
it kept my partitions, but the mount points are not labeled anymore for my
RAID devices.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Douglas H. Johnson

DS3
www.ds3inc.com
Decision Support Software Solutions, Inc.
Valencia, CA  -  Thomasville, GA