RHES4 and 600SC

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 15:19:28 CDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Doug Johnson <doug at btsint.com> wrote:
> I need HELP!  I am new to linux, but I have installed RHES4 on 3 brand new
> Dell PowerEdge SC430's with NO problems.  I have an older 600SC (2003
> model?) that I am trying to install and while installing it tells me that it
> cannot find the hard drives.  This 600 has a CERC ATA-100/4ch, which the
> 430's did not have.  I do not know what I am doing with it, so I did the
> easy configure and it seemed to work, but upon reboot, I got the same thing.
> I read somewhere that ES4 does not have the drivers for that controller and
> that if I plugged the hard drives directly to the motherboard, all would be
> well.  So, I just plugged the hard drives directly into the motherboard and
> then everything seemed to work, using Disk Druid, I was able to partition
> the drives and setup RAID1 and everything.  However, while RH is formatting
> the last partition, right at the end, it hangs indefinitely.  I am thinking
> that it has actually finished formatting and it is hung on the next step and
> the graphic has not caught up with it.  The icon for the mouse stops
> rotating, and the hard drive light goes off.  If I turn it off and back on,
> it kept my partitions, but the mount points are not labeled anymore for my
> RAID devices.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The first thing I do with the older boxes is make sure that all the
needed BIOS's are upto date. The second thing is try the following
options at the RHES4 installation boot prompt (try them in any
order... ):

mem=512M
pci=noapci
pci=noapci mem=512M # Assuming the system has 512M or more memory.

The mem=512M fixes some systems, pci=noapci fixes others, and the last
one fixes another set that the 2 dont fix.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator