PowerEdge 2800 lockup running RHEL 4 U2

Mike M saetaes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 07:24:19 CDT 2006

> Sounds like the disks went offline (input/ouput errors).
>
> We sometimes get this on our dell - powering off is the only answer.

This happens to us all of the time; an entire RAID array will
mysteriously go offline (loads of ext3-fs errors at the console,
nothing works, can't gracefully reboot or shutdown).  No media/other
disk errors reported by the controller, and everything is happy after
powering off hard, other than the forced fsck.

We're running about 2650/2850s almost exclusively on RHEL 3.

I'm curious if this is a pervasive problem with the PERC 4 series of
RAID controllers, or just a driver/firmware issue.

Mike