maximum partition size for RHEL

A Cline aaron.cline at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 08:19:50 CDT 2006

Starting with RHEL4u1, there was support for Filesystems larger than 1TB.
Prior to that I believe that 1TB was the largest you can go and I do not
know if RedHat backported it into any of the RHEL3 updates.  I believe that
the maximum filesystem size after RHEL4u1 is either 4TB or 8TB, but it
doesn't effect me because our SAN can only do partitions up to 2TB.

Regarding LVM, I'd like some more input on if anyone has had issues with LVM
causing filesystem errors.  Has anyone used an off the shelf solution (like
VxVM) and then switched to LVM, if so, I'd like to hear why and if you are
happy.  Also, does anyone use LVM with EMC's Powerpath?  Do you have issues
with it?

I very much agree that you need to use LVM or some other logical volume
management on partitions from any SAN type device.  I just found out the
hard way that EMC doesn't support resizing partitions if you are using raw
linux partitions on SAN drives.  Food for thought.

Thanks,

Aaron