maximum partition size for RHEL

Eric Warnke ericew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 07:40:13 CDT 2006

I have had nothing but trouble using MSDOS partition types on devices larger
than 2TB ( eg Apple XRaid ).  Using fdisk/msdos partitions APPEARED to work,
but on reboot would shrink down to partition-2Tb in size and results in fs
corruption.  Using parted and gpt works around that issue.

On systems the size you are talking, you should also be using LVM.  I never,
initially, make the partition fill the drive.  I leave room for snapshots
and latter growth.  Using LVM also means that scsi device renumbering will
not affect your mountpoint ( a huge plus ).

Cheers,
Eric