serial port concentrators (console servers) and serial console redirection

Troy Hakala troy at recipezaar.com
Mon Apr 17 10:40:48 CDT 2006

We use an SCS-320 from Logical Solutions (thinklogical.com) that
works really well and their tech support has been very good.

But do you need a console server with your poweredge boxes? Thanks to
IPMI's Serial-over-LAN (SOL) on the Poweredges, we're moving away
from console servers. The advantages of SOL are:

* Less hardware to deal with (support, monitor, take up space,
electricity, etc.)
* No extra cable running through your cabinet per server for the
serial port -- it works OOB on NIC1
* $0

A console server is still necessary for non-IPMI devices, of course,
but it seems to me that console servers are a dying breed.