Amount of disk space lost to formatting?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Apr 14 10:31:29 CDT 2006

I just threw two 73 GB drives in a PE2850 and mirrored
them on the PERC.  Shows up to the OS as /dev/sdb since
it's the second logical drive:

SCSI device sdb: 143114240 512-byte hdwr sectors (73274 MB)

After partitioning and formatting though, I seem to have lost
more room than I had expected.  fdisk shows:

/dev/sdb1               1        8908    71553478+  83  Linux

But df shows:

/dev/sdb1              68G  104M   64G   1% /data

73 GB drives down to 68 GB formatted is bad enough, but there
seems to be another 4 GB missing over what's in use?  I
used the default inode counts:

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1            8945664    1837 8943827    1% /data

Is that much being tied up in the inodes?

Thanks,

Dave