using two raid1 disks from a different perc

Timo Veith tv at rz-zw.fh-kl.de
Wed Apr 12 17:14:35 CDT 2006

Hi list readers,

what happens if I plug two disks which were running as a logical raid1
drive in different PE1850 into a PE 2850?

I want to add those two drives as a new raid1 drive and don't want to
have any downtime. This should work with scsi drives and a perc4.

I don't need the contents of the old raid1 drive. Would it be better to
zero out the first few bytes of the drives or does this no harm? Can I
just plug the disks in, enter dellmgr and configure a new raid1 drive
with the dellmgr tool? Do I have to make a scsi bus reset/rescan to
access the logical drive from the os? If so, how? sg3_utils?

Oh, I am running Gentoo Linux (2.6.15-gentoo-r1) and have installed
Dellmgr-5.31 to configure/view the perc settings.

TIA and regards,
Timo