using ahci driver on a PE830

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 21:21:49 CDT 2006

Marc Bejarano wrote:
> hi, all.  i'm a new subscriber.  i've got a couple PowerEdge 830's that
> i've been tinkering with.  i ran into the same thing that Brendan Conoboy
> ran into with his PE800 last july:
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2005-July/021903.html
>
> he was using the ata_piix driver with the onboard SATA controller and
> getting crappy performance.  he managed to get the ahci driver working, but
> it's not clear if he did this after setting the controller to RAID mode in
> the BIOS.  i've heard that this puts it in native SATA mode.

I only changed /etc/modprobe.conf to use ahci instead of ata_piix, then
made a new initrd (Left BIOS at default setting).  FWIW, this is also
necessary on a Dell Dimension 9150 (aka XPS 400).  Having subsequently
decomissioned the PE800, I can't say what the latest BIOS requires.

-Brendan Conoboy (blc at redhat.com)