Reiserfs vs XFS

Johan De Meersman jdm at operamail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:21:01 CDT 2006

Umm... is that 14 MILLION files ? *gropes for the cluebat*

I'm not too familiar with XFS, but ReiserFS is indeed a very good choice
for small files - or big files, for that matter :)

However, you might want to hash your filenames regardless of filesystem
or underlying disks. Less files is better (listings and such things),
and I usually try to keep below 10k entries per directory - a number I
got from the Ext2 specs :-)

For example, a file called lDfz70d2g.tmp would go in lDf/z70/d2g.tmp -
thus severely limiting the maximum number of entries in each directory.

This should be a relatively small change in the code, and bring a
substantial (and permanent!) performance gain.