Subject: OMSA + DMI + SNMP

PMilanese at nypl.org PMilanese at nypl.org
Fri Apr 7 08:12:11 CDT 2006

It may still work if you evade the GetSysId check in the install script.
This may get it to install. The problem of course, is that there is no ESM
in said system, so I don't know how much it will be able to extract. Be an
interesting experiment. I would imagine, however, that they will create
some sort of instrumentation set for workstations. The ability to do the
firmware updates from IT Assistant almost makes it a shoe-in. The only
other check it does is for a DRAC.

Thanks-

Peter J. Milanese, System Administrator
Information Technology Group
The New York Public Library
peterm at nypl.org - 212.621.0203

             <Cecil_Greathouse
             @dell.com>
             linux-poweredge-b         <slinthicum at wilsoncook.com>
             ounces at dell.com                                            cc
                                       PMilanese at nypl.org,
                                       linux-poweredge-bounces at lists.us.de
             04/07/2006 08:59          ll.com,
             AM                        linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE:Subject: OMSA + DMI + SNMP

OMSA will probably not install on a precision box. The software checks
the system id of the system before installation and if not a supported
system will not install. I do not think any precision boxes are
supported by OMSA.

OMSA adds an SNMP agent to the os and ITA and/or OMSA use this agent for
most information gathering on a system.

[As before, My apologies, I did not read you email carefully. You did
say the workstations were running linux. The client connector product is
windows only. Sorry for any confusion that I have caused.]
cecilg