Subject: OMSA + DMI + SNMP

Cecil_Greathouse at Dell.com Cecil_Greathouse at Dell.com
Fri Apr 7 07:59:25 CDT 2006

OMSA will probably not install on a precision box. The software checks
the system id of the system before installation and if not a supported
system will not install. I do not think any precision boxes are
supported by OMSA.

OMSA adds an SNMP agent to the os and ITA and/or OMSA use this agent for
most information gathering on a system.

[As before, My apologies, I did not read you email carefully. You did
say the workstations were running linux. The client connector product is
windows only. Sorry for any confusion that I have caused.]
cecilg

-----Original Message-----
From: PMilanese at nypl.org [mailto:PMilanese at nypl.org]
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 7:44 AM
To: steve
Cc: Greathouse, Cecil; linux-poweredge-Lists;
linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists
Subject: Re: RE:Subject: OMSA + DMI + SNMP

Fantastic observation Steve...

I think that you can extract snmp from the instrumentation that is
installed on linux by OMSA. I know that it can be reached through IT
Assistant, if you have the tree views turned on. Perhaps you can walk
the devices and find what you're looking for. I do not see why you
wouldn't be able to install OMSA on the precision box, but I don't know
what kind of functionality you would have. I personally think it's way
too much of a resource hog to put on a workstation.

Thanks-

Peter J. Milanese, System Administrator
Information Technology Group
The New York Public Library
peterm at nypl.org - 212.621.0203

             steve

             <slinthicum at wilso

             ncook.com>
             Sent by:                  Cecil_Greathouse at dell.com

             linux-poweredge-b
cc
             ounces at dell.com           linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com

Subject
                                       Re: RE:Subject: OMSA + DMI + SNMP

             04/07/2006 08:31

             AM

Personally I would be interested to know how this Windows only software
will run on RHEL 3, 4, SLES 9 and Debian.