Which module taints kernel?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Apr 5 09:25:08 CDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:10:32PM +0200, Alex Dyas wrote:
> Indeed, by disabling the Dell related init scripts I now have an
> untainted kernel.  As I understand it these init scripts are part of
> Open Manage?

Yes.

> So that leaves me in a bit of a dilemma.  My customer who is trying to
> install Oracle 10g tells me that Oracle will not support their software
> on a tainted kernel.  Does this mean I cannot run Open Manage on the
> machine at the same time?

Dell supports Oracle 10g with OpenManage installed.

Oracle may, if problem diagnosis appears to point to the kernel or the
OpenManage services themselves, ask you to boot without the OpenManage
services running (they can still be installed, just disable the
initscripts) to see if that alleviates the problem.  If the problem
can only be reproduced while OM services are running, then it needs to
be taken to Dell Technical Support.

Thanks,
Matt

--