Which module taints kernel?

Alex Dyas alex.dyas at interoute.com
Wed Apr 5 09:10:32 CDT 2006

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:14:20PM +1000, Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:
>  > Alex Dyas wrote:
>  > > Thanks for the quick response.  So I'm assuming if I configure a more
>  > > generic driver I won't need the module and my kernel will be
> untainted?
>  > >   The machine is a server so I don't need anything particularly quick.
>  >
>  > If not dcdbas, perhaps dcdipm is the tainting module. A quick grep
>  > through my source tree gives no indication that it is in the vanilla
>  > kernel source (unlike dcdbas which is there, and *I believe* was added
>  > to the stock kernel a couple of releases back?)
>
> yes, dcdbas and dcdipm in current versions of OMSA will "taint" the
> kernel.  Yes, this will be fixed in the next version of OMSA, as all
> its drivers have been made GPL-licensed and included in kernel.org.
>
>  > Regardless, a tainted kernel is only a problem if you can't get support
>  > when you need it. If kernel guys don't want to help you, I suspect the
>  > Dell guys will still be here (along with the rest of us) to assist where
>  > we can.
>
> Exactly.

Indeed, by disabling the Dell related init scripts I now have an
untainted kernel.  As I understand it these init scripts are part of
Open Manage?

So that leaves me in a bit of a dilemma.  My customer who is trying to
install Oracle 10g tells me that Oracle will not support their software
on a tainted kernel.  Does this mean I cannot run Open Manage on the
machine at the same time?

Alex.