perc 3/Di also unstable on 2.6.16.1 and tuned aacraid-1.1-5

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Apr 5 07:30:51 CDT 2006

You can have the 3/di work as a normal scsi-non raid card (becomes an
adaptec 7xxx U160 IIRC) and then run a software raid.  it works fine as
a normal scsi card, its just terrible as a raid card where you'll have
hiccups, go offline, etc.  I had aPE 2500 doing the same behavior.  If
you do that and run a software raid, you'll have to backup your data and
reinstall.  To make the 3/di a SCSI card, go into the Dell system BIOS
(I think its hit f2 to enter setup when its counting up the memory) and
there is somewhere in there an option to have the card be either RAID or
scsi.

Other solution if you want a hardware raid is to buy a PERC 3/DC.  It'll
plug right in and work fine, but since its a megaraid/LSI based card,
its not compatable with the adaptec container so you'd have to backup
and reinstall.  But it will plugin and work fine electronically.  You
would disable the onboard 3/di in the dell system bios.  Thats what I
did on my PE 2500.  You can buy a 3/DC cheap on ebay (take your chances)
or cheap through dell refurbished center (don't have the 800# off hand,
you can call poweredge support and get the number, though)