perc 3/Di also unstable on 2.6.16.1 and tuned aacraid-1.1-5

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar at linpro.no
Wed Apr 5 06:07:42 CDT 2006

This may be like whipping a dead horse, but we gave one of our 2650 with
Perc 3/Di a new go with linux-2.6.16.1 from kernel.org and aacraid
driver 1.1-5 extracted from adaptec's latest rpm, and tuned
AAC_MAX_32BIT_SGBCOUNT down to 256 in aacraid.h. We're also running
latest firmware updates.

This worked quite good for a couple of hours. Then we made a new 20GB
logical volume and ran fsck -t ext3 on it. It died as earlier by putting
the controller offline. To regain control over the device we had to use
the "normal" procedure, that is;

* power off
* pull out one of the affected disks
* boot
* accept changes in the raid bios
* power off again
* reinsert disk
* boot
* accept the changes in the raid bios again
* watch it boot the boot loader normally while reubilding the raid set.
* sigh
* drink a large coffee

Will it ever be possible to run 2.6 stable with this controller?

Will software-raid (md) work stable?

Eric Sisler posted in January under the subject "Two more reasons to
avoid the PERC 3/Di RAID card (GRUB & fsck)" that it was possible to
bypass the Dell firmware, "effectively turning the card into an Adaptec
AIC-7899 dual-channel SCSI card". Is this a trivial task? Will it work
with existing raid sets?

Ingvar