Which module taints kernel?

Jonathan Adamczewski jonathan at narrowp.ath.cx
Wed Apr 5 05:14:20 CDT 2006

Alex Dyas wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.  So I'm assuming if I configure a more
> generic driver I won't need the module and my kernel will be untainted?
>   The machine is a server so I don't need anything particularly quick.

Actually, radeon is the open source driver. fglrx is the proprietary
driver. Stick with radeon.

 From my desktop :
$ dmesg | grep taint
fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies,
Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.

If not dcdbas, perhaps dcdipm is the tainting module. A quick grep
through my source tree gives no indication that it is in the vanilla
kernel source (unlike dcdbas which is there, and *I believe* was added
to the stock kernel a couple of releases back?)

Regardless, a tainted kernel is only a problem if you can't get support
when you need it. If kernel guys don't want to help you, I suspect the
Dell guys will still be here (along with the rest of us) to assist where
we can.

j.