Which module taints kernel?

Alex Dyas alex.dyas at interoute.com
Wed Apr 5 01:46:35 CDT 2006

Hi,

Env - Dell 2850, Redhat ES3

We apparently have a tainted kernel on our 2650:

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
nfs                    99376   0  (autoclean)
nfsd                   85168   0  (autoclean)
lockd                  58992   0  (autoclean) [nfs nfsd]
sunrpc                 89212   0  (autoclean) [nfs nfsd lockd]
radeon                114596   1
dcdipm                 53868   1
dcdbas                 40748   1
autofs4                16952   0  (autoclean) (unused)
audit                  90552   3
e1000                  76956   2
floppy                 57488   0  (autoclean)
sg                     37228   0  (autoclean)
microcode               6848   0  (autoclean)
keybdev                 2976   0  (unused)
mousedev                5624   1
hid                    22276   0  (unused)
input                   6144   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
ehci-hcd               20776   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               26956   0  (unused)
usbcore                81056   1  [hid ehci-hcd usb-uhci]
ext3                   89960   8
jbd                    55060   8  [ext3]
megaraid2              37928  11
sd_mod                 13712  18
scsi_mod              114344   3  [sg megaraid2 sd_mod]

 From what I understand this means that one of the modules has been
forcibly loaded, or that there is a module loaded for which the
manufacturer has not supplied the source code:

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-18

Does anyone know how I can find out which is the offending module?  This
may sound a little off topic, but I'm wondering if it's the megaraid2
module as I have an 1850 with just megaraid who's kernel is not tainted.

Thanks,

Alex.
--
-= Alex Dyas , UNIX , Interoute , Geneva =-