iostat for disk performance?

webster at lexmark.com webster at lexmark.com
Mon Apr 3 12:38:30 CDT 2006

OK, I've received two similar informative replies.

Let's try this:
The server is not yet in production, & I can put a test load on it.

Thanks.

Gx

Jonathan Dill <jonathan at nerds.net>
Sent by: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
04/03/06 01:06 PM

        To:     linux-poweredge at dell.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: iostat  for disk performance?

webster at lexmark.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any pros or cons regarding the 'iostat' utility.
> It appears to be a fairly easy way to get  IO/sec  &  KB/sec  .
> How does it compare with bonnie++ ?

If you mean iostat as from sysstat or dstat, it compares to bonnie++
like apples to oranges.  iostat shows live utilization as reported by
the kernel on an ongoing basis.  bonnie++ does a performance benchmark
to measure what is the optimal performance, the benchmark itself
is meant to be resource intensive and is not something that you want to
run continuously on a production system as a way to measure performance.

Jonathan