Dell servers with 2 post rack/DC power supplies ?

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Wed Mar 30 16:46:40 CST 2005

They may have since come up with an option for this, but when i checked
a few months ago, there was not a DC power option for the 1850.  There
was for the 1650 and 1750 but those machines are discontinued now.

I don't know about the 2850 - might be the same deal.  2650 had
the option.

You'll really need to talk to a knowledgable dell rep.  If you can't
find one, I'll put you in contact with mine, who might be able to point
you in the right direction.  email me offlist.

regarding center post rails, it's a standard option when you configure
a rackmount server on the dell web site.

other vendors certainly carry this stuff but it can be tough to google for
it, "dc power supply" is too common.  Try searching for "48vdc 1u server"

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:52:22PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've been asked to order some servers (in a large hurry) and the POP
> location has specified a preference for DC power (but AC supply
> available if necessary) and an absolute must for 2 post rack mounting
> kit.
>
> does anyone have this config and/or can point me at a recommended
> config/part number etc from dell for ordering this ?  or even can
> tell me if this is something dell do a lot of so when i talk to them
> i can get a server ordered and delivered in a week or so..
>
> i'm specifically looking for the equivalent of a dell PE1850 or
> smaller and the requirements are pretty basic:
>
> o dual gigE
> o 512M of ram
> o dual power supplies a bonus
> o RAID1 - hardware or software, don't care.  IDE preferred, scsi fine too.
>
> and i'd need to get two of them delivered (within the US).
>
> regards,
>
> -jason

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile