2650 + PCI card = new motherboard!

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Wed Mar 30 15:12:16 CST 2005

I added a PCI 5 x USB2 card to my 2650 and first it wasn't seated properly
(awkward to see and get at in the rack) so it didn't work.  So I opened
that top again and really squeezed it into the slot.  No POST, not a
glimmer.  The motherboard got goosed!  Just had it replaced today with the
riser too - took the engineer a couple of hours plus all my time.

So I asked Dell about PCI cards - not wanting to put the old one back in
even though it works fine in a cheap PC.  They said any PCI was fine
except not 5V.  No particular recommendations and Dell don't do them at
all.

The PCI card was an unbranded one with an NEC 0720101GJ chip.  Only £9.
Unfortunately I can't find anything other than a recommendation from
OpenRG whatever that is.  The card has two slots in it so it will fit in
the top PCI/X slot but I don't know whether it is 3.3 or 5V signalling.  I
thought 5V was old hat anyway so anything with 2 slots would be 3.3V but
perhaps I'm wrong.  There is no word in the 'manual' about such things.

Can anyone recommend a USB2 card that works on their 2600/2650?  I really
need to get this working so I can set up a proper backup onto my 250Gb
external drive and using the installed USB1.1 would be like waiting for
paint to dry!  I guess I would be happier with a branded make like Belkin
or something - I don't want to have to go through seeing a completely
blank screen again!

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com