Dell RAC remote operations and Perl tool

Burnett, Kendrick kwb at sparta.com
Wed Mar 30 14:03:29 CST 2005

I'm trying to administer dell servers using the Perl tool from
http://lanceerplaats.nl/PowerEdge/RAC/
<http://lanceerplaats.nl/PowerEdge/RAC/>

my problem is that when the tool runs it returns this  as a result

_protocol: content = <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=https://157.185.37.25:443/">

</head></html>

_login: content = <?xml version='1.0'?><?RMCXML
version='1.0'?><RMCLOGIN><CHALLE

NGE>BN43YHW0Wh3szdeQXJWFrg==</CHALLENGE><RC>0x0</RC></RMCLOGIN>

password = [password] challenge = [BN43YHW0Wh3szdeQXJWFrg==]

_login(2): content = <?xml version='1.0'?><?RMCXML
version='1.0'?><RMCLOGIN><RC>

0x140004</RC></RMCLOGIN>

Invalid password [rc=0x140004]

Basically saying that the password is wrong

I'm wondering if the protocol used to talk to the RAC has changed since the
last time the Perl tool has seen activity(2003 as far as I can tell)

I'm looking for either information on what's wrong with my setup, or the
Perl script, or maybe some information on the protocol dells applet uses to
talk to the RAC so we can use that, using the web interface isn't an option
for us.

Also, the web tool provides sensor information, but when we use the racadm
command line tool, we get an unsupported firmware operation exception, so
any ideas on why that happens, or how the web interface differs from the
racadm tool would also be helpful.

RAC Information:

RAC Date/Time         = Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:19:31 GMT-06:00

Firmware Version      = 3.20 (Build 10.25)

Firmware Updated      = Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:58:05 GMT-06:00

Hardware Version      = A06

Current IP Address    =

Current IP Gateway    =

Current IP Netmask    = 255.255.255.0