System backup applications (again)

Normandin, Jerry JNormandin at welchs.com
Tue Mar 29 14:00:29 CST 2005

Read this:
http://www.amanda.org/docs/whatwasnew.html#id2529999

-----Original Message-----
From: Pottinger, Hardy J. [mailto:PottingerHJ at umsystem.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:39 PM
To: Normandin, Jerry; Ernie Buford; linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: RE: System backup applications (again)

> Also Amanda can span tapes, this guy should RTFM

It was our understanding, from reading the Amanda manual and the FAQ,
that if you have a filesystem which is bigger than a single tape (we
do), you will need to do multiple smaller runs, until you have segments
that *will* fit on a tape.

Is that not the case?

We archive data out of a 1.7 TB partition, a set of files sometimes as
small as 300GB, sometimes larger. The tape library has an SDLT220 drive
in it, so our tapes max out at 220GB. We generally need three tapes to
do the archives, using Arkeia right now. Arkeia takes about 7-10 hours
to complete, at about 730-740 MB/mn.

HARDY POTTINGER <pottingerhj at umsystem.edu>    .
Programmer/Analyst - Expert                   .
Univ. of Missouri, Office of Library Systems  .
 GPG Public Key...                            .
   http://mco.mobius.missouri.edu/~hardy/     .
 worth a look...                              .
   http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/           .
   http://www.mepis.org/                      .