Dell RHEL4 plans

Andrew Mann amann at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Mar 24 20:33:10 CST 2005

mike kuras wrote:

>On Thursday 24 March 2005 05:15 pm, Matt Domsch wrote:
>

>>People keep asking, so here's the scoop.  This info is copied from
>>a PDF posted on dell.com/linux in the past day or so, so it's
>>public information now.
>>

>>>Dell requires some period of time after the Red Hat release to
>>>create the factory pre-load images and to fully test Dell
>>>OpenManage components on the final Red Hat product.
>>>

>Matt- absolutely no offense to you or your team, but this is one of the most
>apathetic statements I've ever read.
>
>How can one of the largest computer makers in the world offer a critical
>enterprise-level feature (essentially) "when we get around to it"?
>
>Stuff like this is exactly what causes people to consider other vendors.

    The paragraph above the one you quoted said "June 2005".  I'm not
sure if you missed that part, or if you feel that February 2005 - June
2005 is an unacceptable delay.  Also, in what way do you consider this
lacking critical enterprise-level features - In that if you choose to
run the 2.6 kernel based RHEL4 that you are lacking hardware monitoring,
or in that you feel that RHEL3 doesn't offer some features you consider
critical but RHEL4 does, so that RHEL4 must be supported immediately?

Andrew