PE2800 and DRAC 4/I virtual CD ROM problems

Stuart_Hayes@Dell.com Stuart_Hayes at Dell.com
Wed Mar 23 13:50:58 CST 2005

Try using ide-scsi for the virtual CD-ROM device in RHEL4, rather than
ide-cd.  To do this, put "hdf=ide-scsi" on your kernel line in
/boot/grub/grub.conf.  The ide-cd driver doesn't work very well with the
RAC card when a RAC reset occurs.

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Alan Schmitz
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 11:53 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: PE2800 and DRAC 4/I virtual CD ROM problems

I recently installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 - ES on six PowerEdge
2800s with DRAC 4/I cards.  They're running 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmp kernels,
the latest from Red Hat Network.  I installed everything from the the
virtual CD ROM drives through the DRACs, but I haven't used the virtual
media software since then.

This morning two of the systems locked up at different times.  Neither
system would respond over the network.  Their consoles wouldn't respond
either, so I rebooted both through the DRAC power options page.  Both
had similar messages repeating in /var/log/messages:

Mar 23 08:39:28 server1 kernel: hdf: status error: status=0x7f {
DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index
Error } Mar 23 08:39:28 server1 kernel: hdf: status error:
error=0x7fIllegalLengthIndication EndOfMedia Aborted Command
MediaChangeRequested LastFailedSense 0x07 Mar 23 08:39:28 server1
kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command Mar 23 08:39:28 server1 kernel:
hdf: ATAPI reset complete Mar 23 08:39:28 server1 kernel: hdf: status
error: status=0x7f { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete DataRequest
CorrectedError Index Error } Mar 23 08:39:28 server1 kernel: hdf: status
error:
error=0x7fIllegalLengthIndication EndOfMedia Aborted Command
MediaChangeRequested LastFailedSense 0x07 Mar 23 08:39:28 server1
kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command

Neither system had any media connected to their virtual CD ROM drives at
the time they locked up.  I'm assuming the "drive not ready for command"

error is responsible for the systems locking up.  Is there anything I
can do to prevent this problem?

-----
SILO Program Coordinator
aschmitz at silo.lib.ia.us