PE2800 and DRAC 4/I virtual CD ROM problems

Alan Schmitz aschmitz at silo.lib.ia.us
Wed Mar 23 11:53:05 CST 2005

I recently installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 - ES on six PowerEdge
2800s with DRAC 4/I cards.  They're running 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmp kernels, the
latest from Red Hat Network.  I installed everything from the the virtual
CD ROM drives through the DRACs, but I haven't used the virtual media
software since then.

This morning two of the systems locked up at different times.  Neither
system would respond over the network.  Their consoles wouldn't respond
either, so I rebooted both through the DRAC power options page.  Both had