2650, USB and external drives

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Tue Mar 22 11:57:44 CST 2005

I have a 2650 and I want to add an external USB drive.

Platform is FC2 with updates and a 2.4.29 grsec kernel.

Unfortunately, the USB built in is only 1.1 (why?) so I added a 5-port (4
external and one internal) USB PCI card to the system.  It was an
off-the-shelf card.  The external drive I want to add is a Lacie 250GB -
designed by Porsche so it must go faster!

Issues:

1) The new card does not appear to be recognised.  From lspci:

04:08.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 0309 (rev 01)

Is this the card or something built onto the motherboard?  The only USB
controller shown is:

00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 05)

which AFAIK is the standard USB interface so it is not surprising that I
can't see the new drive at all.

2) I plugged the drive into one of the USB-1.1 ports and I can see it on
/de/sdc (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb are already assigned) and in principle I
could format it but I would really rather have it attached to the USB-2
card.

So does the 2650 need a specific type of PCI/PCI-X USB card and if so,
what one?  Or should generic PCI cards work?  I don't want to struggle
with USB 1.1 on a 250GB drive!

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com