SNMP Monitoring for Megaraid2

Thomas Uhl thomas.uhl at topalis.com
Tue Mar 22 01:44:53 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 18:27 +0100, Eric Belhomme wrote:
> Thomas Uhl a écrit :
>
> > We don not like the Dell OMSA stuff because it is not RPM based and
> > an overkill (Java, ....).
> >
> I'm basically aggree with Thomas : IMHO the OSMA tools are mostly not
> usable on production servers due to too many deps with unsecure or
> unfree packages (X, jre, ...)
>
> It would be nice that DELL provide less 3rd package dependant tools for
> theirs servers
>
> To answer to Thomas, megaraid drivers creates entries into /proc
> pseudofs. It's quite easy to grep|awk|sed it then send via snmp or
> whatever else...

It might be possible to extract the SNMP-part of OMSA and package it
as RPM.

@Matt Domsch: I am willing to do that, but I need some help from
              somebody who knows the architecture of OMSA.
              What parts are needed to monitor the storage system.
              I hope this is possible without kernel modules and
              Java frontends.

Yours
  Tom

Thomas Uhl                                      thomas.uhl at topalis.com
Topalis AG                                    phone: +49 711 88770-111
Lilienthalstr. 2                                fax: +49 711 88770-199
70825 Stuttgart-Korntal, Germany                cel: +49 170 7917711