Debian and Server Assistant

Johnn Tan waterbuffalo at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 21 18:18:13 CST 2005

Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 01:22:24PM -0800, Paul Yuergens wrote:
>
>>As long as I have the correct dell/debian ISO and the installer
>>recognizes my hard drives am i ready to start installing Debian
>
> Yep. nothing further is need :)

Hmm, didn't know about the Debian Dell ISO -- thanks, certainly makes
things easier. However, are you sure there is nothing further he needs
to do? Unfortunately, I don't have a free PowerEdge to try it out on
right now.

But I had tried installing Sarge on both a PE1300 and PE750 just a few
weeks back. The default Sarge RC2 installer did not recognize the drives
on either box. With floppy in hand and much futzing, I got the installer
to see the drives on PE1300. It installed fine after that. I was able to
do apt-get update/upgrade. *But*, after doing the apt upgrade, I
rebooted and the box was frozen just as the kernel started to load. I
assumed this had something to do with a newer kernel wiping out the
customized one?

It seems the Debian Dell ISO is also a customized kernel, so wouldn't
there be similar kernel upgrade issues?

I eventually just went with CentOS, which worked fine on both machines
(except CentOS-4 does not work on the PE1300 because PERC2 is no longer
supported upstream by RH & Dell >:-(, so I had to stick with CentOS-3.4
on that one).

johnn