PowerVault 100T DAT72 on Perc 4e/Di channel 1

Brandon Coale bcoale at freeway.net
Mon Mar 21 12:39:52 CST 2005

Hi,

A few weeks ago we purchased a PowerEdge 2850 from Dell with an
internal PowerVault 100T DAT72 on channel 1 of the Perc 4e/Di

We have channel 0 set for RAID and channel 1 set for SCSI in the bios.

Under Red Hat Enterprise 3 ES, whenever we use tar or cpio to backup a
large amount of data, we get the following errors
in /var/log/messages.  Small directories backup fine with no errors.

Mar  8 17:30:26 sbsmegasys kernel: st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current
st09:00: sense key Hardware Error
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal
target failure
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current
st09:00: sense key Hardware Error
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal
target failure
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current
st09:00: sense key Hardware Error
Mar  8 17:31:55 sbsmegasys kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal
target failure

I am wondering if maybe the megaraid2 driver does not really support
this configuration, and were better off using a separate Adaptec 39160
controller and the aic7xxx driver with our tape drive?

Thanks,
Brandon Coale
Boyne USA Resorts
bcoale at boyne.com