New SCSI drives not being recognized

Adam Engel adamengel at specializedbusinesssoftware.com
Mon Mar 21 11:25:36 CST 2005

Hi All,

I have recently received a pair of new Seagate Ultra SCSI drives to
replace 2 drives that have gone bad.  After putting these new drives
into my PE 1750, I attempted to install RH9 on them. I only am using
about 6gb of the first drive for setting up a temp server. Once I
selected all my packages, the installer then informed me that it
couldn't find the /dev/sda partition. I tried the installation again,
and at the drive setup stage I was again informed of this problem. I
tried knoppix, and even the Dell ELITE diagnostics program which failed
on both disks.  This Server does not have RAID on it.

Any suggestions of what to check? I was going to verify the drives, but
they are 180gb each, and that will take all day.

Thanks,

Adam Engel
Network Technician