SNMP monitoring of dell poweredge servers

Todd Santi TSanti at sybex.com
Fri Mar 18 11:50:37 CST 2005

Never tried it on Gentoo or even a 2650, but here's the steps we've used on
2450's...

You'll need to have the source for your running kernel under \usr\src\ ,
and be sure you have a soft-link pointing to the right directory.

Not sure what the Dell management s/w is for a 2650, but for our 2450's we
used om37_lnx_managed_system_A00.tar.gz.  Once you've extracted om37
(searched Dell's downloads for om37_lnx_managed_system_A00.tar.gz), you'll
find the rpm's under ..\dell\omsw\sa4120\linux\

First install dellomsa-drivers-4.120-3924.i386.rpm .  It should build the
necessary drivers against your running kernel.  If that says it was
successful, then install dellomsa-4.120-3924.i386.rpm, and
ServerAdministrator-1.0-0.i386.rpm, and you should have snmp support.  You
might need to restart snmpd and the dellomsa daemons.  That's the minimum
we've found to get snmp going on the dell parts.

If you have a mib browser util, that's helpful for finding all sorts of
snmp data.

Todd Santi
Systems Administrator
Sybex, Inc.