Perc3Di SCSI RAID + Adaptec 2810SA RAID = Fatal Grub Error?

Gary Pearson Gary_Pearson at Trimble.com
Fri Mar 18 10:29:36 CST 2005

I had a similar problem loading Suse 8 on a 2650 once I installed an
adaptec 2200 for an external array. Without it installed, no problems
booting from the perc 3/di, with it installed grub stage2error every
time. Had a little luck booting from the installed OS (off SLES8 install
cd) but ran out of time to really troubleshoot. I went back to a 3120
for now until I can get time to try again.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Linux OnTheEdge
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 11:14 AM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com; fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Perc3Di SCSI RAID + Adaptec 2810SA RAID = Fatal Grub Error?

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID
controller (mirrored 18GB drives for OS).  It also has an add-in
Adaptec 2810SA 8-channel SATA RAID card.  After installing FC3, and
installing GRUB to the MBR of the mirrored 18GB drives for OS, when I
boot the system, I get  "GRUB Loading Stage2Read Error".

The Dell system and both RAID controllers were updated to their latest
BIOS versions prior to installing the OS.

I even tried (to no avail) booting into rescue mode, chrooting, and
running:
"grub-install /dev/sda".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.