Survey: DSA for RHEL4: LVM or partitions?

Gunther Schlegel schlegel at riege.com
Fri Mar 18 03:06:38 CST 2005

> 0) Do you use DSA for installing systems?  If no, skip rest of the
>    survey.

No, with one or two execeptions. I'll continue anyways. ;)

> 1) Would making DSA always install RHEL4 using LVM work for your
>    environment, or must you have the option to install to partitions
>    too?  Why or why not?

I experienced severe data corruption with the LVM from THEL3 and ext3 (
filesystem ok, application data files corrupt). Ext2 is not affected.
RedHat could not resolve this.

Therefore I prefer the "traditional" partitioning.

> 2) Given that DSA produces a RHEL kickstart file, if you didn't like
>    the LVM choice, would/could you modify the kickstart file to suit
>    your needs?  If not, why not?

No. We are too small to benefit from kickstart. Most new servers replace
  existing ones.

regards, Gunther

--
Gunther Schlegel                    Riege Software International GmbH
Manager IT Infrastructure                                Mollsfeld 10

Disclaimer:
You may grab my GPG key from http://www.keyserver.net .
A nonproportional font is recommended for reading.