Survey: DSA for RHEL4: LVM or partitions?

Jason Martens jmartens at cityofevanston.org
Thu Mar 17 13:26:56 CST 2005

> 0) Do you use DSA for installing systems?  If no, skip rest of the
>    survey.

No, because it doesn't install the system how I want it.

> 1) Would making DSA always install RHEL4 using LVM work for your
>    environment, or must you have the option to install to partitions
>    too?  Why or why not?
I prefer LVM over partitions.  The only reason I use partitions is if
I'm forced to (like RHEL 2.1).  LVM is much more flexible.

> 2) Given that DSA produces a RHEL kickstart file, if you didn't like
>    the LVM choice, would/could you modify the kickstart file to suit
>    your needs?  If not, why not?

What would be great is to be able to "re-master" the DSA cd with a
customized kickstart file, so we can install all of our systems from
DSA, but have them customized for our site.  We're a pretty small linux
shop (5 servers) so PXE boot is a bit overboard, but a customized
installation CD would be more convenient.

Jason Martens