Survey: DSA for RHEL4: LVM or partitions?

Hatim_Amro@Dell.com Hatim_Amro at Dell.com
Thu Mar 17 13:09:56 CST 2005

Greetings();

	I'd like to answer (2).

	I've implemented a switch that will install the system with LVMs
if "ON" and with regular partitions if "OFF". This will allow us (FID)
to install either way by flipping that switch on or off.  Should DSA
have such a feature in order to cater to LVM lovers as well as others?

I know, I've just answered a question with yet another question....!
Kind Regards
Amro;

-----Original Message-----
From: survey-bounces at lists.us.dell.com
[mailto:survey-bounces at lists.us.dell.com] On Behalf Of Domsch, Matt
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:36 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Cc: survey at lists.us.dell.com
Subject: Survey: DSA for RHEL4: LVM or partitions?

We're working on the Dell Server Assistant (DSA) install method for
RHEL4.  DSA asks a set of guided questions, including desired partition
and file system layout.  One question that has come up is, now that
Logical Volume Manager (LVM) is a default in the RHEL4 installer, should
we limit DSA installs to use only LVM, and not to use standard MS-DOS
partition tables as has always been done?  LVM is far more flexible, and
quite stable, and for the expert and non-expert user (such as DSA
targets) alike, would seem to make the most sense. But, I wanted to get
feedback from this list.

If you don't want your answers going to the public list for whatever
reason, you may send them to: survey at lists.us.dell.com which is a select
few of the Dell Linux Engineering team.

0) Do you use DSA for installing systems?  If no, skip rest of the
   survey.

1) Would making DSA always install RHEL4 using LVM work for your
   environment, or must you have the option to install to partitions
   too?  Why or why not?

2) Given that DSA produces a RHEL kickstart file, if you didn't like
   the LVM choice, would/could you modify the kickstart file to suit
   your needs?  If not, why not?

Results of this survey are not scientific, and are non-binding, but will
be taked under advisement.

Thanks,
Matt

--