Survey: DSA for RHEL4: LVM or partitions?

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Thu Mar 17 13:01:49 CST 2005

I don't see why it would be good to cut off a portion of the user base
from being able to use a tool.

LVM may be the default, but I still find uses in my Oracle environment
for partitions.  I would strongly vote to support both cases until the
userbase for partitions is gone.

When we upgrade our 2.1 and 3.0 servers to 4.0, we will probably be
staying with partitions simply because formatting and reloading a couple
of terabytes of Oracle data isn't my first choice for a fun weekend.
When we migrate to new hardware, the data partitions on the SAN simply
get retargeted, not reformatted.  So having DSA automatically make a
major change like that would absolutely preclude us from using it.  (And
please make SURE there is a "Are you sure you want to do this?" screen
before formatting starts!)

I would modify the kickstart file to leave the data areas alone if I
had to.  Using LVM for system areas isn't an issue, they get blown away
anyway, and changing .ks lines isn't that big of a deal.  But it would
be better if the installer simply asked what I wanted to do and acted
accordingly.

My $0.02.

-Michael

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any associated
file(s) may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary
information or be protected from disclosure under law ("Confidential
Information").  Any use or disclosure of this Confidential Information,
or taking any action in reliance thereon, by any individual/entity
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  This
Confidential Information is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you
have received this Confidential Information in error and have an
obligation to promptly inform the sender and permanently destroy,
in its entirety, this Confidential Information (and all copies
thereof).  E-mail is handled in the strictest of confidence by
Allied National, however, unless sent encrypted, it is not a secure
communication method and may have been intercepted, edited or
altered during transmission and therefore is not guaranteed.