Survey: DSA for RHEL4: LVM or partitions?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 17 12:56:55 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 12:35 -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> We're working on the Dell Server Assistant (DSA) install method for
> RHEL4.  DSA asks a set of guided questions, including desired
> partition and file system layout.  One question that has come up is,
> now that Logical Volume Manager (LVM) is a default in the RHEL4
> installer, should we limit DSA installs to use only LVM, and not to
> use standard MS-DOS partition tables as has always been done?  LVM is
> far more flexible, and quite stable, and for the expert and non-expert
> user (such as DSA targets) alike, would seem to make the most sense.
> But, I wanted to get feedback from this list.
>

> If you don't want your answers going to the public list for whatever
> reason, you may send them to: survey at lists.us.dell.com
> which is a select few of the Dell Linux Engineering team.
>

> 0) Do you use DSA for installing systems?  If no, skip rest of the
>    survey.
----
I have but most of the time, it seems that I have set up systems that
don't have DSA available (newly released Maj versions)

I just installed CentOS 4 on a new 1800 - obviously without DSA since
the DSA included didn't contemplate RHEL 4

I can live without DSA but if it's suitable (or very close to suitable),
I will use it.
----

> 1) Would making DSA always install RHEL4 using LVM work for your
>    environment, or must you have the option to install to partitions
>    too?  Why or why not?
----
makes sense to me to always install RHEL4 using LVM. The last system I
got from Dell already had LVM installed (RHEL 3) - I appreciated it.

The biggest obstacle is people who want to do things the way that they
want to do things and they aren't that likely to use your DSA anyway.

Your target user for DSA is someone that goes with the flow.
----

> 2) Given that DSA produces a RHEL kickstart file, if you didn't like
>    the LVM choice, would/could you modify the kickstart file to suit
>    your needs?  If not, why not?
----
sure

Is it possible to allow for RHEL 'clone' installation?
Without editing the kickstart.cfg ?
----

> Results of this survey are not scientific, and are non-binding, but
> will be taked under advisement.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
----