2650 + new BIOS + 2.6.10-ac11 and it *still* crashes

Jan Meijer jan.meijer at surfnet.nl
Thu Mar 17 03:57:37 CST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 Steve_Boley at dell.com wrote:

> Well a quick note that you guys may have missed over the time of all
> this is that it seems primarily to happen with mirror arrays.

Not really.  I am apparently one of those few running it with RAID5.
2650, Perc3/Di and raid5.  It ran perfectly well during 1.5 years: Debian
Woody (stable), the raid5 setup, write cache enabled, 2.4.18 kernel
(debian-standard source self-compiled due to the HIGH mem being disabled
in standard kernel images).

My setup became unstable after upgrading to the next Debian release,
sarge, running a 2.6 kernel.  Tried all the advised workarounds
until my management disallowed me to 'further experiment'.

Interesting how people prefer an unstable box over possible solutions.
Anyway, as i'm migrating from that unstable box to a 2850 in a week I hope
to be able to run some more 'experiments' on the 2650 in 2 weeks time,
maybe shed some light on this.  I really *hate* this.  It crashes and
*nothing* can be found as to why.

Jan

--
http://www.surfnet.nl/organisatie/jame