2650 + new BIOS + 2.6.10-ac11 and it *still* crashes

Mark Plaksin happy at usg.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:31:10 CST 2005

<Steve_Boley at dell.com> writes:

> Well a quick note that you guys may have missed over the time of all
> this is that it seems primarily to happen with mirror arrays.

All our machines are using RAID5 and have the problem.  We have tried
everything suggested so far (turn off hyperthreading, turn off caching,
turn acpi off, etc) with no luck.  We've stuck with Debian and 2.6 kernels
because that's what we run on all of our machines.  Craig's experience
makes me think running RHEL just like he does would probably work.

But there are so many people who seem to have done all the right things and
still have problems.  It doesn't seem worth fighting.  I know some folks
have decided to abandon Dell hardware because Dell couldn't resolve this
problem.  Getting PERC4/DC cards and using them instead seems like the
cheapest and best solution to me.  They're < $1k each.