2650 + new BIOS + 2.6.10-ac11 and it *still* crashes

Wed Mar 16 15:21:13 CST 2005

Well a quick note that you guys may have missed over the time of all
this is that it seems primarily to happen with mirror arrays.

Steve Boley
Advanced SCSI Solutions Team
Dell Incorporated

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Mark Plaksin
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 2:59 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: 2650 + new BIOS + 2.6.10-ac11 and it *still* crashes

Craig Kelley <ckelley at ibnads.com> writes:

> Mark Plaksin wrote:
>
>     Craig Kelley <ckelley at ibnads.com> writes:
>
>         Mark Plaksin wrote:
>
>             Do people have problems with 2650s and 2.4 kernels?  With
2650s and RHEL?

>         We have dozens of 2650's with RHEL3's 2.4 kernel running just
fine.

>     Do these machines see a lot of IO?
>
> Yes, they run backup processes that transfer gigabytes of information
> nightly over the network.  Additionally, the compression takes place
> on the RAID-5 array, which is a lot of simultaneous read/write
> commands all grouped together.  All of this while running a full-scale

> RDBMS commercial package.  They vary from SMP to UP systems.
Hyperthreading is unilaterally turned off.

Fascinating!  You seem to be the only one with rock-solid systems.  Are
you running the latest RHEL3 kernel?  Which version is it?  Besides
turning HT off, have you turned off read and write caching as Matt
recommended a while back?

Thanks for the feedback!