Dimension 4700 Losing NIC

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Tue Mar 15 15:40:15 CST 2005

Hello,

Of all the systems we use, which include several models of PowerEdge and
Dimensions, we've popped up with a problem with Dimension 4700's.  We
drop in our own PCI frame grabber card and loose the NIC.  Never seen
this before on any Dell system.  Take our card out and the NIC is still
gone.  Drop in a 3rd party NIC or reinstall the OS and life is good, NIC
is back.

Is there anyway with the D4700's to 'reset pnp configuration data' like
there used to be in the older AMI and Award BIOS?  I haven't been able
to find it.  Even toggling the NIC off and back on in the BOIS doesn't
seem to get the job done, neither does removing it from
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf and letting kudzu rescan the system.

We're using Fedora Core 3 with the 2.6.9 kernel.

Any ideas?

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com }

---